All children who will be five years old by Dec. 31 in the current calendar year are eligible to register for Kindergarten classes that begin in September of that same year. Registration for Kindergarten will take place on the third Monday in January of the year for which the child is eligible. Contact your neighbourhood school for details. Find your catchment neighbourhood school using this link to the online School Locator tool. Catchment maps are available here.
Registration opens January 21, 2019 and registration will be open until noon April 1, 2019. All registration takes place at neighbourhood schools and is not available at the School Board Office. Registration is not available during spring break (March 18 to March 29).
“In the event that the District may not be able to accommodate a catchment student within the catchment school, the student will be placed on a ‘School Placement List’ prioritized by date and time of application. The District will accommodate the student at a neighbouring school until such time as space is available.” (Policy No. 7008)
Documents Required at the Time of Registration
Please note: Proper documentation is essential. Your registration may be delayed if the required documentation is not provided.
- Proof of age (Birth Certificate)
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status must be provided for both student and parent (Canadian Birth Certificate, Canadian Passport, Canadian Citizenship Card, Landed Immigrant documentation, Permanent Resident documentation/cards)
- Proof of Residence (Mortgage Papers, Property Tax Notice, BC Driver’s Licence, subject-free purchase agreement (less than 6 month move-in date), utility bill)
- Registration Form (also available at your child’s school)
- If able, please bring your vaccination records (optional)
Cross Boundary Registration
To register your child in a Kindergarten program outside of your catchment area, please proceed to your catchment school and follow the process outlined for Cross Boundary Registration.
Important Information Regarding Application to Programs of Choice
Read our Kindergarten Brochure.
Review our General Registration Info section for more.
Optional Kids Plus™ Accident Insurance
For your convenience, we’ve made arrangements for families to voluntarily purchase student accident insurance through the Kids Plus™ Accident Insurance program, underwritten by Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc (iA Financial Group*).
Kids Plus™ Accident Insurance offers protection against the unexpected costs of injury from accidents, and is especially valuable for families who:
- do not have medical or dental plans,
- have limited plans, as it may help supplement health and dental benefits, or
- have active children who enjoy sports and outdoor activities.
For complete plan details, please visit kidsplus.ca.
*iA Financial Group is a business name and trademark of Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc.